In this article you will be able to know all the information about the parrot, such as the best pet bird, its characteristics, behavior and much more about the species that encompasses all Birds, easy to handle and care for anyone who wants to have a sweet and harmless pet.
To begin, it should be known that parrots constitute the species of psitasiformes, and these are divided into twelve (12) families, however some scholars recognize a family with several subfamilies, the name of parrot is often called birds of striking colors and great color. It covers approximately three hundred and forty (340) species of birds, of which parakeets, macaws, cockatoos, among others, can be named.
description of parrots
The main characteristic of the entire parrot species is its pronounced and strong beak, it has a higher and shorter curvature, compared to that of the bird of prey, it has at the base what is called waxy, found at the upper base , are located there including the nostrils, like all species the upper jaw is hook-shaped, marked by horizontal grooves, they have the wonderful function of facilitating the accumulation of seeds, and protect the rim of the lower jaw.
It has a tongue covered with fibrous papillae, similar to a toothbrush, it is fleshy and thick, which allows it to easily lick the secretions of the trees and also the juices of the fruits, flower pollen and nectars. This part of the parrot's body is extremely mobile, since its curved, strong, hook-type beak is used to climb, hold and bite any element it wants.
The legs are made up of four (4) fingers, in a zygodactyl shape, which means two fingers of them, the first and the fourth are directed forward and the remaining two, the second and third are backwards, they are clumsy to walk On smooth surfaces, however, they climb unequaledly, applying their legs and beak as a hook to climb between the branches, the tarsus is robust and short, this organ is prehensile to any object that it wants to take.
Most parrots are raised in colonies, they are especially monogamous, they build totally autonomous nests, among other species they are raised on the ground, some of the species such as the monk, Quaker parakeet build totally solitary nests, while country parrots usually make holes on rocks, trees, trunks, or on the ground, it should be noted that all the eggs of these birds are white.
After the courtship that lasts a few seconds, the gestation period lasts a few weeks, and the incubation period lasts only twenty-five (25) days, approximately, the female only manages to generate four (4) to (5) eggs. After hatching, they are cared for by their parents for the first two (2) months of life.
As for their voice, it is a powerful screech, birds of larger size and proportion emit deafening sounds, annoying for some people, however these species have the quality of being able to repeat or imitate human words, teaching them from their master, as well as They come to repeat a whistle sound in a tune or melody, even emitting complete sentences following instructions or when asked, obtaining a wide vocabulary.
For small birds, you can hear low and very pleasant sounds, it is even possible to hear a soft affectionate chatter from them.
What is important to highlight is that the parrots are unable to understand the meaning or the objective of the repeated phrases, even so it seems that they are aware of this, since their level of reasoning and discernment is totally null, such as establishing a conversation with they and these will respond appropriately to what they have learned, this is not really the case, what is explained is that this wonderful species of bird has the ability to observe and in turn associate when they are presented with a specific situation, they act according to it.
Its beak is curved, strong and hooked. As for its wings, they are short, while its tail is long.
Placement by species or types of parrot
To better understand the distribution areas, where the parrots are located according to their species, the types and their location will be named, this due to the climatic conditions of each country, this being fundamental in the survival of each species of parrot; so we have to:
- In the Amazon basin in Australia, Central America and New Guinea, the parrots with the greatest diversity of species are located.
- In the interior of Asia and Africa there are very few species of parrots.
- In Latin America, specifically in Chile, there are the most relevant species such as choroy, which is persecuted by peasants because it feeds on crops and is startled by having a beautiful red spot on its chest.
- Within the most common and beautiful species of parrots are located in Venezuela and Ecuador, reaching the north of Argentina, from these locations you can see in the sky flying freely the red-faced parrot, the yellow-fronted parrot, the parrot black head, the parrot of the sticks, among others.
- From Mexico to Central America, the royal parrot, the plumed parrot, the white cap parrot, the royal parrot are located, reaching as far as South America.
- In the countries of Chile and Argentina, in the Andean and Patagonian regions, the southernmost species is located, which are the trica parrots and/or the Burrowing Parrot.
- The Central American parakeet is centered on the Pacific coast of southeastern Mexico until it reaches Costa Rica.
- In the mountains of Mexico, up to more than four (4000) thousand meters of altitude are located the parakeet parrots catita serrana and/or the parakeet parrot Andean, there are also the dwarf parrots.
- The most extraordinary and impressive parrots are the macaws or macaws, with spectacular colors of great showiness, they are found from the north of Mexico to the north of Argentina.
- The shortest-tailed parrots, which are called the southern parrot or tovi, are in southern Chile.
- In Puerto Rico is the majestic parrot with a red spot between the eyes.
Distribution by climatic space
- In the dry and warm habitats it is not so populated by parrot species, due to the scarcity of food, despite that it is in these areas that the Australian parakeet can be found, it adapts perfectly to this climate.
- Mountain habitat is where the largest number of parrot species can be located, with a great variety of them and coexisting without any problem.
- In the tropical forest habitats they are the most visited by any species of parrot, and the largest species with the most striking colors are the ones that best get along in this type of sector to live.
- Finally, there are the domestic habitats, these are the species of parrot that are found in the company of a human being, these species are best known for what they are repeatedly taught and their bright colors.
There are countless zoos and parks that fulfill the task of sheltering and protecting these species, so they are accessible to observe for anyone who wants to enjoy these wonderful birds and their impressive colors, as well as the White Tiger It is a striking and beautiful animal found only in some zoos.
To house some type of parrot, of any species, some specifications must be taken into account, since the satisfactory stay of these beautiful animals depends on these, and not take it like any other bird, the cages must be made entirely of metal, remembering that the parrot has the main characteristic of living nibbling everything around it with its powerful hook beak, if on the contrary it is a parrot that only eats seeds, a sufficiently hard and thick wooden cage could be placed.
For the largest species of parrot such as the macaws, it should be taken into account that this species of bird is capable of displacing and moving the metal bars or common metal fabric with its beaks. On the other hand, the containers for food, water and sliding waste trays must be made of metal, not wood, in order to be resistant to the parrot.
Obviously the lock must be as safe as possible, well closed so as not to allow its agile beaks to open it and escape. When purchasing a shelter for a parrot, keep in mind that for small or smaller species the cage must measure at least one meter in length, for large or larger species it must be no less than 1.5 meters.
On many occasions, brass cages, covered with varnish, have been observed, which is easy for the parrot, since it can eliminate it and it could even be toxic for it, added to this, it is totally inadequate since it is a permanent shelter and its space is very small, but even when the parrot is not allowed to fly freely inside the room, cages made with this brass are not recommended either, since they are easier to ingest and break.
Another really fascinating species is el javanese rhinoceros, which is not very common to run into such a powerful animal.
Bird cages and aviaries
Countless people who enjoy the company of these birds must follow some care parameters and the main one is, the home where the parrot will stay, so a cage is appropriate, but following the following instructions:
- the cage must have enough space for the parrot to walk as best as possible.
- The lower grids should be large and located a short distance from the bottom, to allow the parrots to take in the shells of the seeds, the sand and the residues that they release, and this will help them complete their food diet.
- It must have a strong and well-closed lock so that the bird cannot get out.
- Inside the cage it is advisable to place a space of sand with stones the size of a pigeon's egg, so that the parrot does not lose the sense of sharpening its beak.
- It is important to introduce branches without bark, perches, and pieces of trunks, which allow the parrot to gnaw naturally, which will be replaced by others again at the end of this process, always making sure that these branches have not been treated with chemical products. , harmful to the parrot's health, since they can be ingested.
- If, on the other hand, they are cages to keep several parrots, whether of the same or of a different species, this cage must be conditioned with a truly large space, since on many occasions these animals can become aggressive, either in times of mating and breeding, they become more difficult to live with and stay away from each other.
- This space must be ventilated, where they can receive the sun's rays, for this the ideal is a spacious aviary, made with wire mesh.
- Water is a fundamental part of parrots, they must take regular baths, and rain is excellent for them, to achieve this, this space must be conditioned so that at some point in the month it is bathed.
- It should be taken into account that if you have plants, they should be away from parrot cages or aviaries, since they will not resist the bites of this species.
- If you have the possibility of acquiring the large and specious cage, you can place a thick and hard trunk, on which the parrots can climb easily, allowing them to exercise and be comfortable.
- Place log cavities so that they can sleep or nest during the breeding season.
- Take into account that most parrots emit a screech that can be annoying for nearby neighbors, so the place they can occupy should be evaluated so as not to disturb other people.
Following these tips will result in a happy and well cared for animal, as space is essential to contribute to the complete well-being of the parrot.
When you have domesticated parrots, you must take into account and even more so when you have large parrots such as macaws, cockatoos and Amazon parrots, you must place a special support on them, made of some material that cannot be easily gnawed, it can be a large wooden trunk with many branches, crossed lengthwise in the middle of the cage or aviaries, so that the parrot can climb.
This support will also serve as a distraction method, to go up and down, to climb and walk around the cage, which will demonstrate their well-being and the owner will be able to enjoy observing the colorful colors and movement. This base should provide stability and comfort to the parrot so that it does not bother its legs when it is taken from there.
Protection, care and handling
When making the decision to have a pet like a parrot bird, it should be noted that it is not only about providing an adequate diet and a suitable shelter, since it is also extremely important to be fully aware of the grooming and cleanliness that the bird's facilities need. .
For the parrot it would mean a lot of help, keeping its space clean, putting fresh water every day, changing it and keeping the base clean, it can be sprayed once a week, in terms of preventing possible parasites such as the red mite, and which is currently easily controlled with high-quality insecticides, for this you should always consult your veterinarian.
For the plumage, it should be observed beautiful, bright and free of baldness, for this it is advisable to record the plumage regularly, while caressing it is a technique to check it. The legs are another point that should always be observed, to prevent them from becoming inflamed, the perches and cages must be kept clean. The beak can show horny tissue developed or not as you need.
For the nails and beak, if they are very long, the parrot should be taken to the vet and he proceeds to cut a little, and very carefully, without bleeding or sacrifices, for this it is that the branches and trunks that are they should be inside their cage so that the natural process of wear and tear occurs on its own, when they bite and gnaw, and it is not necessary to cut their nails and beak sharply.
As mentioned above, the more space and comfort you have inside the cage, the better development the parrot will have, the branches, trunks and supports provide them with the daily physical exercise they need, since the act of pecking the plumage is an activity of boredom, it is possible to place toys suitable for birds inside the cages, and added to this it gives another view to the parrot and the people who visit him.
The behavior of the owner is essential for these animals, he must act calmly, smoothly, not aggressively or abruptly, just as if he accustoms the bird to seeing his owner without glasses and a hat, suddenly he appears like this, it can provoke a burst of panic to the bird, for not being used to seeing him like this. As with masks and certain things that destabilize the sudden tranquility of the parrot.
The vast majority of parrots live in a community without distinction of species, which happens contrary to the Canaries or a finch parrot, parrots need attention and care from their owner, so before having a bird of this species it should be taken into account very well, since to have them solely for ornamental appearance is a fatal mistake.
If, on the other hand, what you want is to have a parrot as a pet, you must get used to its owner on a daily basis, this begins by feeding it morsels of food that it likes, from the owner's hand to the animal so that it knows the hand of his master, and this is the initial and easy part of this adaptation process. It should be noted that the most advisable thing is to obtain a young parrot, so that it adapts to its cage, owner and way of life, since those already a few years old show resistance to changes and require great efforts to get used to new things. .
After going through the initial process, the owner, by means of repetitions and affection, will be able to teach him to whistle, speak and even sing, they are capable of retaining songs or complete phrases, for this it must be repeated many times with the same tone, and the most clear as possible what you want the bird to learn. It should be noted that some parrots have better conditions to speak, such as those belonging to the ara parrot species and the Amazon parrots, their quality of speaking and repeating are their greatest talent.
Some of the differences between males and females is that the males of this species have the greatest learning capacity, and due to similarity they have more affinity with the female gender, obviously this will depend on the owner in terms of interest, affection and affection shown. and teach the parrot, this being a real fact to be domesticated.
Like all living beings, it can be prone to getting sick, if it does not receive adequate care, and attention to possible symptoms such as the appearance of cough, abundant mucus, cold, or, most commonly, any digestive disorder due to something that did not feel good when ingesting it. For this, the most appropriate thing is to transfer it to the bird specialist as soon as possible.
Essentially, the most important of all parrot care is to provide it with affection, affection, since they need it as much as their food, and using force to make it do what you want is not a viable option, which is could obtain in a hostile bird, if it is treated in the opposite way, great results and long life will be enjoyed for this little animal.
The intake of quality food is as important as the affection that is given to the parrot daily, which is essential to obtain good health for the bird, initially food such as tubers, seeds and fresh fruits must be in good condition, Below is a list of the ideal foods when it comes to parrots:
- The main element of food for the parrot are the seeds that must contain carbohydrates such as: oats, canary seed and all the seeds of the herbaceous family.
- For parrots of large species, apart from the previous seeds, corn and sunflower seeds are added.
- Hemp and sunflower seeds can be supplied but in small quantities and less frequently, since they help fattening by containing oil fibers, minerals and vitamins A, E, D, and E, and contain enzymes and substances that help and they stimulate the growth of all organs up to the feathers.
- Hard shell fruits are recommended for large parrots in all their varieties such as pine nuts, walnuts, millet, canary seed and hazelnuts, taking the precaution of soaking them or moistening them before putting them on.
- As for vegetables, they should preferably be fresh to run the risk of intestinal disorders, the most recommended vegetables are spinach, lettuce, green beans, dandelions and carrots.
- They have a primary need for fruits, they can be placed all the fruits of the season including bananas, grapes, dates and figs.
- When caring for young, they should be given a special diet consisting of boiled hard-boiled eggs soaked in egg milk.
- Dry bread, or like toast also soaked in milk should not be missing since it provides them with calcium, another food is crushed egg shells. There are chemical supplements that can help this mineral, it could be convenient to locate them.
- Salty food or food with excess spices is contraindicated, this with respect to giving them food prepared for human consumption that is allowed as long as it is in good condition and not decomposing.
A balanced, correct and adequate diet offers and provides the parrot with the stability of health that it needs, for this reason the intake of correct nutrition must be maintained, in addition to this it must be remembered that parrots have the quality of gnawing, for this reason it is necessary to pay attention to the trunk, it will be put to exercise since it will be able to consume it.
When they reach five (5) years of life, these birds look for a way to form a couple, and being monogamous this relationship lasts for the entire life of the parrot, starting the search in the trees, branches and large termite mounds, when they get their Beloved couple, they prepare an elaborate nest with the remains of motherwort gnawed by themselves on their strong hooked beaks.
This stage of reproduction will vary according to the type of sector they inhabit, it can increase in hot and sunny areas, while in the cold the interest in reproducing may decrease, and take as a priority to cover yourself from the cold, added to this the temperature influences the survival of the eggs, since if there is a lot of heat, or a lot of cold, it affects the chicks to a great extent.
the female expels three (3) to four (4) eggs, and incubates them for twenty-five (25) to twenty-eight (28) days after that, the young remain up to two (2) more months in the nest and are fed by their parents, feed them with get, seeds and fruits given from beak to beak.
This lasts about a year and that is when they begin to leave the nest little by little, and begin to live on their own.
Like any puppy animal, it needs care and time of dedication, and even more so when it comes to chicks, which will require a father or mother, who feeds, cares for and protects it during its first days of life, for which it will be fantastic to observe the physical changes that the chicks present at birth until they reach adulthood, and it will be brighter to observe the psychological development that parrots have at birth and reach adulthood.
To obtain the best results when raising a chick, it is necessary to take into account the following and try to follow these recommendations:
- When you can already have them, you should keep them in a cardboard box, which has an opening at the top, the size of the chicks should be evaluated, if there are several or one only to change the size of the box.
- The bed will be made of strips of kitchen paper and / or newspaper or any paper you can get, this must be changed daily, and for the liquids that may spill, and the feces, the cardboard box will also be changed so that the feces don't contaminate your food.
- The food is based on tubes of milk, they can be an injector, and gradually they will be given bread soaked in milk, there are people who put the yolk of the boiled egg to obtain maximum nutrition, they will be placed with strips of paper so that do not contaminate your own feces.
For large species of parrots, it is advisable to place them in a large cage at once, and insert a small cardboard box for them to take refuge, let them decide when they do not need it and will be taken out of the cage.
When the chick is one month old, the ideal temperature is from 23 to 25°C, very cold or very high temperatures are harmful for the chick, therefore the chick should be controlled and observed if it presents any symptoms such as; if his skin is red, if he is breathing fast with his mouth open, it means that the temperature is very high, if on the contrary he is pale, shivering, listless and tells him to eat, it means that he needs more heat.
An alternative could be to place infrared lamps that emit heat to the chick, specifically those used in terrariums; already when they manage to pass this stage the temperature where it lives will be enough to live.
Relative humidity of the environment
This will depend on the temperature of where you live, in most cases it is forty-five (45) sixty-five (65) degrees, and it is perfect, in case the temperature is high, a nebulizer is used to spray the cardboard box and expose the chick to the right temperature, if this humidity is very low, the chick's skin will be dry and wrinkled.
Special feeding of the chick
When having a chick, the guidelines to follow for the care, handling and protection of the small parrot should be considered, if you want to obtain the best result:
- A porridge will be prepared according to the days that the parrot is born, for example those that are more than four to five weeks old, should be fed three times a day, during the morning, in the afternoon and at night, respecting some intervals of hours between them from seven to nine hours.
- When the change of intake for solid food begins, the mid-day meal should be removed, and gradually the morning meal, then the evening meal.
- The porridge should have the consistency of cream and be so liquid that it can go in and out of a syringe.
- The porridge is made with the same quality and cleanliness as if it were for a small child, with hot water avoiding the formation of lumps, the perfect temperature would be ideal is 37° to 40°C.
- Introduce the syringe into the hot water so that when it comes into contact with the chick's mouth it feels good when sucking on it, taking care not to overdo it as it can cause a negative reaction to the chick's craw.
- To give him the porridge, he takes some sheets of newspaper, which will be new each time he feeds, and wraps his head from behind with his hand, then with his thumb and forefinger he takes hold of his neck, encouraging the neck to lean forward. above, which they do adequately on their own.
- The syringe is inserted through the left side of the beak and without forcing the parrot, following the way of swallowing, the syringe is tightened with the mush, this will be done until the crop is completely full or the bird shows signs that it no longer but with a tense crop.
- With great care and warm water, the plumage and the beak are sprayed, inside and out, to clean the remains of the mush, being careful with the crop so that it does not regurgitate.
- The bird's crop will be observed, to know when it is empty, since it must be emptied in its entirety, taking into account that most of the time for this to happen is between the night and morning meals.
- The amount of porridge supplied will depend on whether the crop is full or not, and the growth demand that the chick may have.
- It is always conducive to check by weight, before and after meals, to know if the fattening and feeding of the chick is going satisfactorily, and even more so when liquid foods are changed for solid ones.
- When you see that the chick tries to tear the cardboard box, it pecks at the edges of everything inside the cage, it is time to start giving it solid food, such as soaked seeds, vegetables, mixtures of sweet corn, fruit, the same porridge in a container, therefore one of the meals is eliminated forcing the bird to start eating on its own.
- Watch your weight when you go through this process, since you should continue to gain weight and not decrease, this depending on the species that has been chosen, if you notice that you lose weight, we should go back to porridge and try to reduce it little by little again .
- All food must be new and in good condition, as parrots defecate on food and could become contaminated from it.
- The placement of a water trough is of the utmost importance, and even more so when you begin to go through the process of changing to solid or dry food, for this it would be appropriate to place warm water in place of porridge.
Over time, humans have taken the parrots in a bad way, wanting to traffic by putting them on sale, with excessive prices, although it is true that the birds remain more in life support, when they are domesticated, however it must be taken into account that like any animal it should be treated with appreciation and kindness.
By having them in house shelters, the reproduction of the species is greatly reduced, since in most of the houses that have parrots they are alone, and being monogamous by staying with one and this to their liking, they will not reproduce properly, for which then weakens the expansion of the species.
On the other hand, deforestation, felling and burning of trees, does not allow the parrot to get used to it normally, since it must live changing space and not form its family nucleus, this being an animal that lives in herds regardless of the species, must be moving from one place to another. What has as a consequence that the species of parrots are not kept in the same way united by family of species.
Currently there are zoos with huge aviaries where they protect species from around the world with more care, providing them with food to remain as they were in their native country or area, for example in Spain there is the Parrot Park, which has more of three hundred (300) species of parrots, and more than fifty (50) in critical danger of extinction.
In the Parrot Park they are provided with the protection, care and appropriate environment, with large aviaries, they live in pairs of species, so that the reproduction of the species can be achieved. Same as him Asian elephant that is in danger of extinction.
deworming a parrot
Many times it is observed that the parrots begin to pluck their feathers, and it is not because of sadness if they do not see their master for a while, but because of itching, it is when they must be dewormed because they have some type of mites that are invading their body both internally and externally. external, for this you need apple cider vinegar, which will be placed in your common water about three or four drops. In addition to this, the same apple cider vinegar is placed four tablespoons of this liquid, in a sprayer and applied to all the feathers, much more if there is sun, since they love to bathe.
It should be taken into account if the ambient temperature is very low, it is applied in non-ventilated places so that the parrot does not catch a cold.
Parrot behavior as a social animal
The parrot will be as sociable, friendly and affectionate as it may be, this will depend only on its owner, or on the person in the family who truly gives it affection, the relationship begins when it is given food from the first time by the hand of the parrot. love, you must give affection and spend the maximum time with the bird on top, so that it gets used to the master.
There are many graces that can be taught to the parrot, from throwing a small ball at it, and it will bring it to you, to singing complete songs, phrases, playing dead if shot, dancing when listening to a melody. It is important to know that these acts will be carried out by repetition, since these little animals are not intellectual enough to know when to do it, nor the meaning it has.
They respond to the stimulus of movement that their masters see, it can be caresses on the feathers and/or giving them some food that they like from your hand, so that they gain the necessary confidence and do not bite you, and not yelling at them or having bad skills, because it will become rude.
They are fun and very active, for this reason it is recommended to place the trunk to climb, and in the trade there are toys for bird cages, very nice and made with material resistant to the beaks and nails of parrots, these in turn serve to get on and off these and exercise.
To train him, you must choose the time of the meal, and while you repeat what you want him to learn, when he tries to do it, and he will advance until he manages to say it, the food will be given as a reward for having achieved it, taking into account that Birds like parrots can take a long time to learn, the important thing about this is not to despair or overwhelm the parrot.
It is not recommended to put on loud hats, or masks or items that the parrot is not used to seeing the people around him, not favorable for them the whistles, the bugles for prolonged time as this makes them nervous.
According to proven studies, they show that in homes where several people live, it is possible that the parrot feels more affinity with another person who is not the one who cares for and feeds it, so it should not feel bad, on the contrary, it was educated and adapted very well. to the bird to coexist with all the people in a harmonic way.
The denomination of parrot is given to more than three hundred and forty (340) species of birds, among them many with similar characteristics arise, one of them is the parrot is one more species of parrot, specifically those that have the most capacity to emit sounds similar to human beings, despite this there are differences between parrots and parakeets which will be named below:
- The parrots squawk while the parakeets screech.
- The parakeet's tail is pointed and the parrot's is short and square.
- The parakeet's body is thin and small, the parrot's body is round and large.
- The head of the parrot is larger and rounder, the parakeet has a small and oval head.
- Around the eyes the parrot has a white band that the parakeet does not.
- In the parakeets the green color predominates, while in the parrots there are blue, yellow and red.
- If they are kept in captivity, parakeets can live up to fifty (50) years and parrots reach eighty (80) years.
Despite the differences mentioned above, it is extremely important to highlight that parakeets and parrots are parrot species capable of mating, pairing, gestating and incubating three (3) to four (4) eggs, being born between the twenty-six (26) and twenty-eight (28) days.
- Why do parrots have the ability to speak?
Despite not having the capacity to understand what they repeat, if they have the quality of repeating with the same tunes, accents and melodies that are taught to them, this is worthy of admiration since they do it by association, they respond to gestures and/or objects that they observe, and this makes them extraordinarily intelligent and suitable for adaptation with human beings as funny and friendly pets.
- Why do parrots fluff up?
When they separate their feathers from their bodies, and raise their beaks as if showing off, it is because they are hot and in this way they cool the skin under their wings.
- How do parrots communicate?
Incredibly, the parrot does not have vocal cords, what they have is the condition to emit sounds, and with other birds they communicate by means of screeches, depending on the species.
- How long do parrots live?
The time can vary according to the species, and the care that can be taken, despite this when they are domesticated, they can live between forty (40) and sixty (60) years approximately.
- What is the species of parrot that talks the most?
Most species of parrots can make sounds, however the gray parrot or African gray parrot, are the best at imitating the sounds of human beings, and there is even one of them that has stood out among many parrots for having reasoning ability.